ALEXANDER PIROGOV: ALL NEW THINGS ALWAYS PROVOKE REJECTION
Since the launch of construction public services in e-format, Moscow State Construction Supervision Committee (‘Mosgosstroynadzor’) has issued over 9,5 thousand construction and commissioning permits. Alexander Pirogov, the vice-chairman of the Committee, told the Vechernyaya Moskva newspaper about the functioning and efficiency of the system and about challenges that developers had to face.
– Let us speak, what services does Mosgosstroynadzor provide in electronic format?
– To date, we provide three main services – issuance of construction permits, commissioning of new facilities and issuance of documents of constructed objects’ compliance with the technical regulation and project documents. We have also launched an e-service which makes it possible to send a notice notice of the beginning and the end of construction and installation works. In 2013 it became possible to obtain construction and commissioning permits in e-format, since then we have already issued 9,5 thousand permits. We have also got around 2,7 thousand notices which can be given in electronic format since July, 2015.
– What challenges did Mosgosstroynadzor face due to transfer of services to e-format?
– We were preparing the whole year of 2012 and the first half of 2013. We did not face any particular difficulties like other departments did, except standardization of different formats which project organizations were using in their work. Once we standardized them, there were no more challenges.
In 2013, we launched service of issuance of permits for construction and commissioning for objects funded by the city government. Since 1 November 2014, this service has included all objects regardless of funding source. Since Moscow Architecture and City Planning Committee (‘Moskomarchitektura’) and State auditing bodies used to receive the majority of paper documents, they did most of the work to transfer construction public services to e-format. Obtaining construction permit is the ultimate procedure for developers before they can start works. Firstly, they have to execute documents in other departments, they need to obtain an urban development plan of a land plot (‘GPZU’), architectural and urban planning solution, a lease agreement and the project has to be examined. For this reason, Moskomarchitektura and Moscow State Expert Committee (‘Moskomekspertiza’) were the first to start transition to an electronic workflow.
– How does the system of electronic construction permits work?
– A developer has to register on mos.ru portal and fill in the electronic application form. A staff member of Mosgosstroynadzor processes the application. Once the provided information is examined, the Committee sends either a construction permit or a motivated refusal. The entire procedure does not require a personal visit.
– Developers are pretty conservative, how did they meet the innovation?
– All new things always provoke rejection. At first, investors were worried because they had got used to do things the old-fashioned way – to deliver documents personally to a one-stop shop. Developers had a developed system of cooperation with authorities that issue permits. They used to have departments dealing only with paper documents, their staff went to public entities to obtain permits.
With thе emergence of state services in e-format, this system broke and such department became unnecessary. Now developers can send the approved form of application with links to requested documents. In the case of a construction permit, you need to indicate the numbers of an urban plan of a land plot, a land lease contract and positive findings of state examination.
The rest of the necessary documents we get through interdepartmental informational interaction when it comes to city facilities. In the case of federal facilities, we make an interdepartmental request and get all the necessary information within 5 days. According to the existing legislation, federal and regional authorities cannot require a claimant to provide documents that are at the disposal of other authorities, we have to request them from the authorities. It has significantly facilitated the process of permits’ gathering for developers.
I want to note that all parts have noticed convenience of the new system. Unnecessity of personal interaction between developers and public officials prevents corruption. Any enterprise director can track the document processing status remotely. To date, developers still have problems in the interaction with federal authorities that still request paper documentation. For this reason in some cases we have to print permits besides sending them.
– What federal authorities do you mean?
– There are many of them: the prosecution service, investigative bodies, bureaus of technical inventory, By the way, Rosreestr is currently transferring to electronic workflow, so our cooperation will be significantly simplified starting this autumn.
– Do commissioning permits require the same procedure as construction permits?
– Yes, it is all the same. The only difference is that the developer has to attach the certificate of implementation of technical specifications of network organizations while connecting to the utility systems. These organizations are not government departments, most often, these are joint-stock companies therefore they are not included in the chain of public e-services. After the developer obtains the certificate, he sends it to us. We also request a technical plan implemented by a cadastral engineer.
– How long does it take to issue a construction and commissioning permit?
– Before the electronic workflow introduction, the Construction Code had given 10 days for provision of both services. Starting this year, the timeline for the issuance of these permits has decreased to 7 working days.
– Is it easier for your department to consider documents in e-format?
– The advantage of electronic workflow is that now there is an electronic application which Mosgosstroynadzor Inspector can use to examine the project when he is on site. He does not need to make notes, copy the documents, etc.
– What about the issuance of permits for individual housing construction?
– In this case there is a simplified scheme. To send an application to get a construction permit, a developer had to register on the portal or apply with the passport to a one-stop shop. He has to provide the land documents, the urban development plan of a land plot and the layout scheme where the owner can mark the land plot boundaries and built facilities. On the basis of these documents we issue a construction permit valid for 10 years. Usually those developers, who construct individual housing, do not apply for a commissioning permit. There is such term as “dacha amnesty”, if the developer has a construction permit and an extract from the Bureau of technical inventory, he can formalize his ownership of a land plot.